My first Umrah // Makkah


Our most tranquil, imaan boosting and self reflecting holy month on Ramadhan has just passed and I am missing it already.
I hope you all had a productive month connecting with our beautiful religion InshaaAllah.

I have been wanting to post about my first experience of Umrah since I came back but life has kept me busy with other tasks.

MY FIRST UMRAH

You know when a lot of people talk about 'the calling' of visiting the house of Allah, to be honest I never fully understood it until I experienced it.

This trip was uber last minute, I didn't even have the urge to go until a couple of weeks before we jetted off.
Over the past year my husband has been telling me he wants to go and he was supposed to go with the family but things didn't work out and plans got cancelled last minute.
One day he came home from mosque and was talking about how desperate he is and how he just wants to go... I replied saying why don't we just go together.
From that day we decided to start planning and SuhaanAllah everything worked out.

I then understood the point of when it is your time, Allah (Azza wa jal) will make it happen.. he is the best of planners.


THE JOURNEY // TRAVELLING TO MAKKAH

Alhamdulillah our flight was a comfortable one, we stopped off in Dubai (hubby had a chance to get changed into ihram) and from there we got a connecting flight to Jeddah.

Patience is something you need when you reach Jeddah, SubhaanAllah I could never have imagined the amount of hours my husband had to stand in line to get through security at the Jeddah Airport.
The travelling alone had taken it out of us (I can't sleep during flights) so when we I had to wait for hubby to get through security for 6 hours I was completely thrown off guard.
That being said you have to be patient and Alhamdulillah we were, only later did we realise that normal waiting is generally 4 hours but this time it was worse due to technical issues.
I just wish I was prepared, which is why I wanted to write about it.

Obviously with how long it took, our driver that was meant to pick us up had left thinking we must have made our own way, so with no riyals we had to exchange money at the airport and get a taxi.
The taxi drive itself was quite long, I think around an hour and a half and hubby and I were dozing off the entire journey.



REACHING MAKKAH // FIRST GLANCE

We wanted to drop our bags at the hotel and perform our Umrah as soon as we reached Makkah.
But due to the travelling and 6 hour wait we decided to take a nap to freshen up and have enough energy and concentration for our Umrah.

We woke up after a few hours and began walking our way to the haram.
I was still a little tired and a little upset at the long wait but SubhaanAllah... I didn't expect the overwhelming feeling as I set my eyes on the Kaaba for the first time.
All that had happened, the tiredness.. the having to be patient all wiped away in that one glance.
I felt at such ease... it was SubhaanAllah the most amazing feeling I have ever experienced.



THE RAIN // BLESSING

اللَّهُمَّ صَيِّبَاً نَافِعَا

Allaahumma Sayyibann Naafi’aa
“O Allaah, (bring) beneficial rain clouds.”
(Bukhari – Fathul-Bari 2/518)
While we were in Makkah we were blessed to have experienced the rain.
I feel I take the rain for granted here in the UK, it happens a lot but it is a blessing so I for one am going to try not to complain about it.
It said in the hadeeth of Sahl ibn Sa’d that is attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): 
“There are two which will not be rejected: du'aa at the time of the call (to prayer) and when it is raining.”
Narrated by Abu Dawood and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani inSaheeh al-Jaami’ (3078). 

The atmosphere when it rained was something else, everyone was supplicating, standing in the rain getting soaked. 

It was amazing!


IBAADAH // WORSHIP

So what did I do in Makkah aside from performing Umrah?

TWAAF
We did Twaaf of the Kaaba as much as possible, making intense Du'a and Dhikr.

MEMORIZE DU'AS
I tried to memorize Du'as, for which I used an amazing app called 'myDuaa' on the Iphone, I know it is available on android but I think it is under another name.
I want to do a post on this in the future InshaaAllah so I won't go into too much detail.
The most significant one for me was the funeral prayer du'a, I learnt it in the past but shamefully had forgotten it.
But SubhaanAllah after pretty much every Fardh salah there was a Janazah (funeral) salah, so I felt it was important to memorize it asap.

QUR'AN
I have just recently in the past year began to learn tajweed; the correct pronunciation to recite Qur'an.
Because of that I find it difficult to read the standard Qur'an as I have a colour coded one which helps me with the rules.

So when I did read Qur'an, I either; 
+ Read using my Iphone on which I have an app that has colour coded tajweed rules
+ Tried to memorize the Surah's which I have been reading in lessons from Juz 30.
+ When I could find one, I read the translation of the Qur'an in English, I fell in love with the translation they had in the mosques in particular the footnotes.


I am hoping InshaaAllah to do a post on 'Tips for Umrah'.
If you have anything you would like me to add in that post then do let me know.

I am not really much of a writer but I was really excited to share my experience and I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Oh, and I still have Madinah to post about!


2 comments:

  1. Pictures as always are stunning. And congrats on your Umrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JazaakAllah Khair hunny ^_^ Xx

      Delete