UMRAH / PACKING


Better late than never?
I'm sorry it has taken me a while to write this post. 
I wish I would have done it straight after I had come back as things would have been fresher but nevertheless I sat for a while and I think I managed to get everything down.
I have compiled my packing tips together in a list form, I hope it is useful to those of you planning your Umrah trip.


TOILETRIES
I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to personal hygiene so I didn’t under-pack when it came to toiletries.

ANTI BACTERIAL WIPES
I used these to wipe down the bathroom in our hotel (We didn’t choose a fancy one as it was just us two)

ANTI BACTERIAL HANDWASH
To keep in the bathroom at the hotel.

USUAL SHAMPOO + BODYWASH
Regular showers are a must, walking in so much heat will make you want to have a shower everyday.

FRAGRANCE-FREE BODYWASH / SIMPLE
When in Ihram you cannot use scented products so we chose THIS Simple one.
We picked it up from the pound shop so it is worth a look at your local one before you check in Boots.

TRAVEL ANTI BAC HAND WASH
There are no toilets inside the haram masjid (there are some outside but I didn't want to use them) and so when I did need the loo I walked up to the ones they have in the mall opposite.
There wasn’t any hand wash in the pumps so I would highly recommend taking your own just in case.

SANITARY TOWELS
Just in case.

ANDREX FLUSHABLE WIPES / FEMFRESH WIPES
You may not want to use these but I use them to clean toilet seats as well as what they are used for.


MEDICINES / MINI FIRST AID KIT
It is always good to be prepared for any little emergencies.

PLASTERS
For any cuts/blisters you may get.

HAY-FEVER / ALLERGY TABS
I didn’t need these when I went but I would take them again regardless as it would ruin my experience if I was snuffling all over the show.

PARACETAMOL
The trusted pain killers.

DIARRHOEA TABS
It isn’t recommended to take these on a usual occasion as it is best to let the body get rid of toxins which are causing the diarrhoea.  However I did use these on Umrah as I didn’t want to waste any of the precious time I had running back and forth to go to the loo!


ABAYAS + HIJABS
Covering up in the heat.

LIGHTWEIGHT HIJABS + UNDERCAPS
I took quite a few, take enough so that you can rotate.
Everyone has their own favourites when it comes to hot weather, I chose my maxi lightweight material ones I picked up from my local market.


BATWING / LOOSE CLOSED FRONT ABAYAS
I had one batwing abaya that I took with me and I wish I had more of them.
The airiness allows you to not get too hot and it means you get less sweaty under your arms.
The rest were loose lightweight material abayas that had a closed front, I borrowed these off my mami.
Take a fair few, I don’t think you should scrimp on the garments you take unless you are certain you can get them washed there.


UNDER YOUR ABAYA
Hubby and I shopped at Primark for our Pyjama pants and Tshirts.

T SHIRTS
Take a lot of these but ensure they are lightweight material, I wore these as pyjama tops as well as under my abaya.

PYJAMA PANTS
3/4 lightweight pyjama pants worked out the best for me, although any loose pyjama pants would work well.
Just like with the Tshirts, get a lot of these as they can be worn as pyjama pants too.

DO NOT wear cuffed pants.
I had bought two pairs of hareem pants from H&M and when my feet and ankles had swollen up they became super uncomfortable.


UNDERWEAR

BRAS
Take enough bras so that you don’t feel the need to keep washing them, in the heat they can get sweaty which will cause irritation.

KNICKERS
Obviously don’t have to go into detail with these haha, I took a pair for everyday.
(We didn’t have laundry service or you could take less if you do.)


FEET
So important to keep you going, make sure your feet are well prepared for Tawaafs + Sa'i.

SOCKS
I wear socks all the time, even during Salah.
I took loads of these because I like wearing a fresh pair everyday.
They are also great cushioning for your feet while doing Tawaafs, Sa'i and generally walking on marble.

SLIPPER SOCKS WITH NON SLIP
I bought a pair of these from ‘WORLD OF ISLAM’ in Manchester.
Due to the extra padding (lined with fleecy material) they give a little extra comfort when doing Tawaafs and Sa’i.
Also the floor is marble in and around the haram, so the non slip soles stop you from slipping, especially on the stairs.
I found it difficult to find non slip soles elsewhere, if you know of anywhere online then please do leave a comment.


CROCS
Never did I think I would own a pair of these.

The reason I highly recommend these for Umrah:

PLASTIC
Perfect for Wudoo

COMFORT
We didn't walk much outside the masjid, however when we did walk to and fro form the masjid these added the extra comfort after Twaaf and Sa’i.

BREATHABLE
They have holes, again good for wudoo but also for the hot weather.

EASY SLIP ON AND OFF
They can be worn as sandals or slippers.
When you are going to be taking your shoes on and off outside the masjid you need something which is quick as there are always so many people walking in and out.

FEET SWELLING
My feet had swollen up to about 3x the size the majority of the time we were on Umrah and as these were quite spacious on the inside, so they allowed for the extra fatness of my feet.

DURABLE
I have worn them in public since I have been back from Umrah *hides face*.
Only when popping out in the car or to my mums and also to put rubbish out.
I bought the real deal instead of going for the cheapo ones, I reckon they are worth that little bit extra.

Here is what I meant by being able to wear them as sandals and slippers.


BAGS
I had taken my usual small handbag bag with me and I never used it when we went saudi.

BRIGHT DRAWSTRING BAG
We were given one of these by the travel agents we booked our Umrah trip with.
We both had one each and I would highly recommend getting them for each person.

BRIGHT UNUSUAL COLOUR
Makes it easy to spot your partner / family members when looking out for them.

WATERPROOF
Keeps your belongings from getting drenched in the rain.

NO LOST SHOES
Rather than leaving your shoes in the places provided in the mosque, it is easier to keep them on you.
We kept a plastic carrier bag inside our drawstring bags to put our shoes in as we walked into the mosque. This kept them from dirtying any other contents.

Me in my batwing abaya drying off in the sun after the rain and that is the drawstring bag we had.


WHAT'S IN MY UMRAH BAG
The essentials to carry around with you during Umrah.

MONEY

PHONE 
This was my equivalent of books as I use apps for Du'as + Tajweed color coded Qur'an

TISSUES

SPARE SOCKS
Incase your other ones get wet, like mine did in the rain

WATER BOTTLE
To refill with Zam Zam

SNACKS
For the times you get hungry and need energy, I took some 'Medley' chocolate cereal bars

PLASTIC CARRIER BAG
To keep my shoes in when entering the Masjid

FIRST AID ESSENTIALS
For emergencies, I kept the things I thought I may need while out and about.
eg. Plasters, Paracetamol

ANDREX / FEMFRESH FLUSHABLE WIPES
To clean loo seats as well as for intimate use.

TRAVEL ANTI BAC HAND WASH


I hope you all get to go Umrah soon InshaaAllah.
+ I hope this packing guide helps those of you that are planning x


2 comments:

  1. Jazakallah khair for this really useful guide. Have bookmarked it for future use Inshallah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa Iyyaki x
      ^_^ InshaaAllah you get to use it in the near future Xx

      Delete